Monday, April 4, 2011

MMGM: HOW TO SAVE YOUR TAIL

I picked up this week's Marvelous Middle Grade because I thought it might appeal to my eight-year-old, and I was right. In HOW TO SAVE YOUR TAIL, by Mary Hanson, a rat named Bob tells stories to a couple of cats to keep them from eating him. He also feeds them cookies.

How to Save Your Tail: *if you are a rat nabbed by cats who really like stories about magic spoons, wolves with snout-warts, big, hairy chimney trolls . . . and cookies, too.

This one will appeal to younger and more reluctant readers, but my twelve-year-old and I also enjoyed it. Bob's fractured fairy tales feature his rat relatives as main characters and reminded me of Jon Scieszka's THE TRUE STORY OF THE 3 LITTLE PIGS! (one of the best fairy tale picture books ever). Almost every page made us giggle, and the cookie breaks between stories kept us wondering how Bob would outsmart the cats.   

If you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades, the following people would love to oblige you: 


Have a Marvelous Monday!     

17 comments:

  1. Sounds cute! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the Arabian Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute cover and title, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so cute. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget my kids, this sounds like something I'd love! ;)
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds like lots of fun. Great review, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fractured fairy tales and that Jon Scieszka book is one of our favorites. We'll have to look for this TALE :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love THE TRUE STORY OF THE THREE LITTLE PIGS! This one sounds cute, too. And like you and Q, I thought Bob sounded like Scheherazade.

    Oh, and of course, any book with a character named Bob must be a good book:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww this sounds gorgeous :o) I love the fat ginger cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi miss myrna! fractured fairytails are cool. this book sounds like it could maybe be a little young for me. but maybe i could like it.
    ...smiles from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fractured fairy tales and I love all the great recc's I'm getting from you for MG--I needed more!

    Have a great week! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds great and super cute! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Myrna, hot cross recipe is up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds adorable :) I'll have to see if it's on our shelves...

    ReplyDelete