Monday, November 7, 2011

MMGM: THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN

First published in 1872, THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN, by George MacDonald, is the oldest middle grade I've recommend on my blog. I adored it as a child and pulled my beat-up copy out for another read a few weeks ago. It's one of those stories that feels like an old friend. The cover that I found on Goodreads isn't the one I remember, but mine's been missing its cover for so long that I don't remember it well.
The Princess and the Goblin
C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien admired MacDonald's work, especially his children's stories, and credited him with influencing their writing. Lewis believed MacDonald to be the greatest of myth-makers and said that his stories shock readers "more fully awake than we are for most of our lives." 

I've read and enjoyed more of MacDonald's work as an adult, but THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN remains my favorite. It's the story of a princess who the adults try to keep safely locked away from the goblins that live in the mountains and a miner boy who uncovers a plot to kidnap her. The two children don't always agree with each other. In fact, the authenticity of their voices is one of the story's most charming assets. But they are there for each other when it matters.


If you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades, the following people would love to oblige you: 

Shannon Whitney Messenger (our founding mother)

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about this. It sounds good. It's fun when you have a favorite book that you take around with you as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read it, but I'll request it from the library. Thanks for sharing, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, was just thinking of this one the other day! Seems to me it's one to get re-reading and book talking. Thanks for sharing the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna, don't you know that my to-read pile is already monstrous? :) But thank you for recommending another wonderful book. So glad you participate in Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love oldies and now want to check this one out too. I rarely come across recommendations like this. Plus the similarity with "Princess and the Frog" does make my decision to read it, a bit partial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite childhood books. I have such fond memories of it! I featured it a while ago. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this! Thank you for sharing your love about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If those two writers liked him, then I will have to check Mr. MacDonald out. He couldn't have a better recommendation, as far as I'm concerned!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I remember this book! Loved George MacDonald when I was a kid. And 1872 -- Wow!

    Nice job, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up on this book and the others in this series. My favorite of MacDonald's was THE GOLDEN KEY. I used to have a copy, but I lent it to someone and they took it with them when they moved. Boo! He's a wonderful writer. I read THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN with my daughter when she was little. It was hard for her to understand the language, but maybe she should try it again now that she's older.

    Thanks for bringing back so many great memories with this post!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myrna, I haven't read this but it sounds intriguing. Thank you for the review, I'll be picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, THE GOLDEN KEY was my second most favorite of his. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am ashamed. I haven't read any of these books. I'll have to check them out. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ditto bfav's shame. I go one worse. I've never even heard of it. Thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book. I'll have to check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read it, but I love the memory you shared with us. Strawberry Girl is one of my favorite childhood books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought this one forever ago and haven't read it yet. Will have to get on it! Thanks, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow! 1872? I read the book, but I never knew it was that old! Loved the story.

    ReplyDelete