Monday, June 2, 2014

Plot Twist

A couple of weeks, the owner of a local newspaper offered me a writing job, and I took it (assignments, and deadlines, and paychecks, oh my!). I started work last week, and so far, it's going well.

I should still have time to write fiction and poetry, especially during the summer months. Journalism is a different type of writing in that it allows little time for agonizing over word choices. I think it'll be good for me.

I still plan to teach preschool during the school year. It's only two days a week, and I love it. Teaching builds me up emotionally and mentally. I don't have time to second guess my decisions, so it's pretty much the opposite of writing novels. If I find that my new job conflicts with teaching, I'll make a decision then. But I'll definitely be teaching this fall.

Are you trying anything new this summer?

10 comments:

  1. Congrats, Myrna. Sounds like you've got lots of great things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting, Myrna! Any kind of writing spurs another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and this was kind of how I started out. I wrote newspaper articles my last couple of years of high school through my first couple of years of college. Those articles weren't assigned, though.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Do you know what types of articles are going to be your specialty (local news, event coverage, self improvement)? Or does this paper not work that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm covering local news, school and library events, stories about people who are doing something interesting, stuff like that. I'm not writing the more political pieces.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see your articles in the paper. :)
    Something new for me....I'm going to attempt to truly purge and organize my house. That's definitely something new. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Journalism made me a better editor; that's for sure. Hope you continue to enjoy the new job.
    As for me, I don't have a lot going on this summer. And I kinda like it that way…

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting! Congratulations!! Best of luck with your new endeavor. :)

    ReplyDelete