Monday, February 16, 2015

Resources for Picture Book Writers

I'm just popping in to share some picture book resources that I've found helpful. Most of them are things I've discovered recently, and most of them are free.

The biggest thing I'm doing this year actually did cost money. It's Julie Hedlund's 12x12. You commit to writing 12 picture book drafts in 12 months. She has three levels, Bronze, Silver, and Gold. I signed up for Silver because it means I can watch the monthly webinars (mini-classes by other writers, Jane Yolen for example) for free. Many of the other 12x12 members have already sold picture books, and they're willing to answer questions and advice. I'm only a month in, and I already know I'll be doing this again next year. It's less expensive than taking an online class or going to a conference, and it gives me access to mini-classes and manuscript feedback all year. Registration is open until the end of this month. If you don't want to invest the time or money this year, you can still subscribe to her website for free. That's how I started last year.




But I have two brand new picture book manuscripts already, and the 12x12 material Julie sends to my inbox is fabulous. This video that I watched today made me realize how I need to revise my current query, and Julie gave us permission to share it. It's the first in a three-part series that you can watch for free. I think the videos are only available for 10 days, so if you're interested, don't put off watching it.

I've been subscribing to www.taralazar.com for a couple of years. Everything that she does is free, and she has a lot of great resources for picture book writers. One of my favorite things is this post on picture book layout. I've come up with some of my best picture book ideas by participating in her PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month) the last two Novembers.

KidLit411 is an AMAZING resource that I just discovered last month. They interview writers and illustrators every week, but the best thing they do is round up links to other relevant information and opportunities. Totally free.

And something new I'm going to try next month is Carrie Charley Brown's Reading for Research Month (also free).

Let me know if you end up checking any of these out. :o) Also, if you think I'm missing out on something, please let me know in the comments. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Myrna. I think I'm going to check this out. I have a couple of picture books in the works (written for my grandkids), although they are rhyming ones. I'm not sure how sought after those are these days.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links. I'm doing a presentation on blogging and I'll suggest these links for picture book writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these! I usually write novels for older children, but I've been thinking of extending into picture books some. I just needed a way to get started. These links look like exactly what I need to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recommended the 411 before, but realized I never signed up for their emails. Good, informative post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Q: Can anyone tell me the difference between K2 and IQ? A: Nthn. In Seventh-Heaven, we gitt'm both for eternity HawrHawr Need a few more thots, ideers, raw wurdz or ironclad iconoclasms? Ta-da! Voila!!

    VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...

    "This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence". Lemme wanna tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs (in [the] end without end -Saint Augustine) when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly-girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

    Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
    infowars.com
    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH
    -------------------------------
    PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

    Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Phoenix Martini, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolfe, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9...

    God blessa youse
    (trust-in-Jesus)
    -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete