Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Crafting Outside My Comfort Zone

So, I did something kind of crazy today. I signed up for a 12-week picture book author/illustrator class where (if I understood correctly) I'll share picture book dummies with my instructor and a critique group every other Thursday. The class starts this Saturday. 



I am not an illustrator. 

BUT, I've been doodling and sketching for as long as I can remember, and I've wanted to learn how to make picture book dummies for years. I've attended workshops on it. I've purchased how-to books. Last year, I even joined a picture book critique group composed of mostly author/illustrators to push myself in that direction. 

But I only shared manuscripts.

I'm totally a chicken about sharing any sort of art with people. I can share my writing. But I have this block about art. My older sister is the artist in our family, and she's amazing. My style, if you can call it a style, will never be anything like hers. 

Maybe that's okay. Maybe that's even a good thing. I'm excited (and apprehensive) about where this class might take me. 

Are you trying anything this year that's outside your comfort zone?

4 comments:

  1. Just saw this post, Myrna. Good for you for going outside your comfort zone! I'll look forward to hearing about your doodles and where the class takes you.

    Last year, as you know, I wrote a novel in verse for the first time. This year I'm taking it one step further. Working on notes for a novel in verse that's historical. First time I've ever attempted historical fiction and the research is daunting, but I'm finally getting into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Keep me in mind if you need a reader. :o)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Myrna:
    Just stumbled across your blog. I'm not a published but an aspiring writer of children's books, yet suddenly this year I found myself diving into the process of building a website on Weebly.com--something I intended only to pay others to do. So yes, I'm someone else who has--uncharacteristically--pushed himself out of his comfort zone. Best of luck with your course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I need to learn how to do, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete