Monday, October 24, 2011

MMGM: THE MAGIC THIEF

I'm not sure why I put off reading this series. I'd been hearing good things about THE MAGIC THIEF, by Sarah Prineas, since it came out. But waiting meant that I got to read the whole series at once, instead of reading it in yearly installments, and it's the best fantasy series I've read this year.


The Magic Thief


Goodreads:


In a city that runs on a dwindling supply of magic, a young boy is drawn into a life of wizardry and adventure. Conn should have dropped dead the day he picked Nevery's pocket and touched the wizard's locus magicalicus, a stone used to focus magic and work spells. But for some reason he did not. Nevery finds that interesting, and he takes Conn as his apprentice on the provision that the boy find a locus stone of his own. But Conn has little time to search for his stone between wizard lessons and helping Nevery discover who or what is stealing the city of Wellmet's magic.


The layout and illustrations remind me of Angie Sage's SEPTIMUS HEAP series, but the characters and setting set this series apart. Everyone is more complicated than they appear to be, especially Conn, who isn't the most reliable of narrators. I love how Sarah Prineas even turns the magic into a character. Brilliant. It gives the story an urgency that wouldn't be there otherwise.


Lost (Magic Thief, #2)


You know how I feel about spoilers, so I'm just going to share the covers of the LOST and FOUND.


Found (Magic Thief, #3)


Have you read these? If you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades, the following people would love to oblige you: 


Shannon Whitney Messenger (our founding mother)

18 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check this out. One of my son's might be interested in the series.

    I love discovering a series at the end of it. Then you don't have to wait so long for the next book of the series to come out, which is a pain if you're on book 2 of a five book series. This is especially true when it takes forever for the next book to come out. JK Rowling, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the covers!!Going to check them out!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE these books! (And I read them as they came out, so imagine my agony!) The scene where Conn searches for his locus stone I read in one breath. Seriously.

    I've been wanting to review them for MMGM but you beat me to it. Good choice, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter so wants to read these but can never find the first one at our library and forgets to request it. She would LOVE all of them; they are completely her style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also heard great things about this series. Thanks for highlighting it.

    And congratulations on your win over at Shannon Messenger's. I can't wait to hear what you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series does remind me of Septimus Heap too. And I really love The Magic Thief series. Great choice to spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great discovery! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound pretty neat. I love anything and everything magical.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Stina, I know! I just found out that Robin McKinley's sequel to PEGASUS isn't coming out next year. Waily waily waily.

    Shelley, you would love these.

    Joanne, that scene was intense. It couldn't possibly turn out well.

    Barbara, these are worth requesting.

    You're welcome, Michael. And seriously, I cannot believe I won.

    Thanks, Natalie!

    You're welcome, Kristin!

    Then you would love these, Sue. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right about the similarities between these covers and the SEPTIMUS HEAP series. However I need to read both of these series to enjoy all of your wonderful claims. Anything magic always make a bee line to my TBR pile.
    Thanks for the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Akoss, it isn't just the covers. The layout on the inside and the way they have a picture of a character at the beginning of each chapter--you'll see what I mean, if you read them. You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read the first one. I think it would be a good series for kids who aren't quite ready for Harry Potter. Probably good for 7 and 8 year olds...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read some of these and really enjoyed them. They are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, Sharon is right. It's perfect for kids who want to read some magic but aren't ready for the dark darkness of the later HP books. Or the snogging:)

    I read the first one and keep meaning to continue the series- it was great! My 11 yo read it and loved it, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read these either. I like what Sharon and Kelly say about it being a good series for those not ready for HP. When kids were growing up with HP and had to wait, they GOT old enough to read them. Now that they're available all at once, it's really a MG series that turns into a YA series by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read this one either but again I love the premise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you reviewed these. I have the series but haven't read it yet. You just gave me quite a push! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love (love) this series. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete