Sunday, October 18, 2009

I don't usually read memoirs, but this one is excellent.  I put off reading it because the author was dying of cancer when he wrote it, but he was so optimistic; his stories and advice are beautiful.  My favorite quote comes from when he's explaining why he wanted to be Captain Kirk when he was a boy.  He's talking about Kirk's cool toys, the Star Trek communicator device in particular, and he asks, "Who remembers that it was Kirk who introduced us to the cell phone?"  For some reason, that cracked me up.  

When I was about 13 or 14, I realized a book that made me laugh and cry was a book I would probably read again.  Over and over.  I borrowed The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, from a friend who said I had to read it.  I will be buying my own copy.  



The Last Lecture

by Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow


Click on the Audiobook to listen to an excerpt.

Buy This Book:
Amazon.com | BarnesandNoble.com | IndieBound.org | Borders.com 

 

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” 
--Randy Pausch

A lot of professors give talks titled “The Last Lecture.” Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can’t help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?


If you do read it, let me know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Myrna! I found you through Camie's blog. It's fun to find people through blogging, huh? Hope your toes gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie! I'm on my way over to your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna-
    It was so good to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. It has been so nice to find old friends through blogging. Besides the busted toe, I hope things are going well for your little family. I put a link to your blog on mine, so I plan on staying in touch!
    Camie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute background! I love thecutestblogontheblock, my sister hijacked mine and did my background, but I love changing for the seasons! Welcome to the world of blogging! So much fun, most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! You're a blogger!

    I also love The Last Lecture. Helps put life in the right perspective.

    Your blog is super cute.

    I'm excited to visit with you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camie! Thank you. Staying in touch is good.

    Maile! I love your background.

    Emily! It was fun to talk today. I can't wait to meet my new neighbors.

    ReplyDelete