Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Poetry Workshop

I talked to second graders about poetry this morning.  They were polite and enthusiastic (smiling and raising their hands).  I started out by sharing a poem, I'd memorized when I was young because I thought it was funny.  

The Hat  

by Shel Silverstein



We talked about how I started writing poetry for publication.  I shared some of my poems, and they recited and read some poems they liked to me.  It was a lot of fun.  

There are very few times in my life I would want to live twice, but my memories of second grade are exceptional.  That was one of the best years of my life.


3 comments:

  1. That was sixth grade for me. I barely remember anything before that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q - I tried to comment on your post, but your blog won't let me. It directed me to reader.

    My sixth grade year is a mine of embarrassing and awkward moments that I may use in a novel sometime. The novel would be funny. I spent the next couple of years with my nose in books, which I have never regretted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never regret spending time with your nose in a book. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete