Saturday, October 30, 2010

Answers, The Fourth (Blogging)

In case you've missed my other posts this month, I've been blogging for a little over a year now. 10/10/10 was my first blogoversary. This post wraps up my Q&A, and then I'll be taking break to get some serious writing done in honor of National Novel Writing Month (November), though I'm not planning on actually taking the NaNoWriMo challenge. I tried it last year, and I haven't even looked at the unfinished mess that I poured so many hours into last November. If you are taking the challenge, then good luck to you! GO! WRITE! WIN! No, I am NOT a cheerleader, but NaNoWriMo is HARD. 

So, questions, we have questions and answers.

Jude asked, "Hmm how about...how many hours a day do you spend blogging and/or tweeting? Has it grown or waned as you're approaching the one-year mark?"

I'd say that over the year, I probably averaged one a day, but I don't tweet, and I don't blog everyday. It grew and then waned. I'm so busy with school and kids right now that it isn't a big priority. I blog because I enjoy the interaction.

Susan Kaye Quinn asked, "Any regrets of the year-of-the-blog? Will you do it for another year?"

My only regret is that I think I could have spent more time writing this year. I only have so much time to blog/read/write, and I think a greater portion of that time needs to go to writing. I don't intend to quit, just cut back.

Medeia Sharif asked, "How have your bloggie friends stretched you/enlightened you/assisted you in your writing endeavors?"

The best part of this last year of blogging has been finding great critique partners. I have three that I've traded with and three more that I'm excited to trade with when my manuscript is ready. But really, all of my "bloggie friends" have been encouraging and supportive, and it helps just to have people say they like my writing or even my blog. It counters the rejection.

Niki asked, "Do you get worried about what to post on your blog?"

Yes, I worry about posting information about my children or experiences that are personal, and then I go with what feels right. I prefer reading blogs where the writer lets their readers get to know them. I worry about sounding negative, but I like it when other bloggers share their problems. And I worry about voice. Do I have voice? I don't know. It's something that's easy for me to hear in other blogs, but it's hard to tell if I have it. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not or writing a character. It's just me.

And that wraps up our Q&A. Thank you for your questions, your comments, and your friendships. I look forward to getting to know you better over the next year, but please don't be offended if you see less of me on your blogs and here for the rest of 2010. I'm writing a rough draft (as soon as I finish the partial revision of Star Swans I'm working on), and I've learned over the last year that blogging interferes with my creative process. That doesn't mean I won't be blogging or commenting at all the next two months, just less (if I have any self-discipline) ;)

Happy Halloween!

9 comments:

  1. Re: voice

    It's only easy to tell it's there if it isn't yours. We spend all our waking moments tucked inside our own minds, so when we read something that sounds different than our own thoughts––in phrasing, in word choice, in sentence construction––we can catch the voice because it is different.

    I only notice my own voice when it's different from how I normally think. For me, that change in always intentional unless I've experienced something that has made my thought processes shift a little (e.g. when I finish writing/revising my Spanish papers, I talk to myself in Spanish for the rest of the evening).

    You do have voice, and it's even consistent. There are stylistic parallels between this blog, your poetry, and Star Swans. Your words have a distinct feel inside my head when I read them, and I think if I ever spoke to you in person I'd have a pretty decent idea of how you'd say things (which is good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been interesting reading all of your answers to the various questions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging CAN interfere with seriously writing. Go for the writing!

    I find that I like the personal voice in blogging. I write about my children and grandchildren, and their dogs and cats, but nothing that would embarrass any of them (including the pets!).

    Have a very good and productive November!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, Myrna. I actually never considered if my blog had my 'voice'. Voice in my blog isn't something I think about, I mean, it's mostly random ramblings. And when I write, I try to lose my voice and find the voice of, usually, a teenage boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers, Myrna. I totally hear you on the whole writing-versus-blogging thing. Writing has to be our first computer priority if we ever want to finish our manuscripts, so I don't blame you at all for not hanging around here so much.

    Getting to know you has been one of the best things to come out of my own foray into blogging. Thanks for being such an awesome blogging buddy and critique partner.

    Good luck with STAR SWANS and your new mystery rough draft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Voice" really is an interesting thing. My kids have said that when they read my blog (or my books), they can actually hear my real voice saying the words in their heads.

    Since they hear quite a lot from me already (up close and personal), I fear they do not enjoy the phenomenon.

    heehee

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really enjoyed hearing your answers over these last few posts - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have a great voice on your blog. You come across as a very gentle and kind person. Thanks for all your answers. They've been most interesting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the danger of blogging replacing writing, or at least cutting into it. I know I've teetered back and forth, trying to find that positive medium balance that makes it all work. I'm glad you're still forging ahead, though! (and good luck with the November writing. I'm cheering the NaNoites from the sidelines!).

    ReplyDelete