Monday, June 20, 2011

MMGM: HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

I've decided to read the Harry Potter series again while I'm revising. It's been several years since the last time I read them, and yet they're familiar enough that I can put them down to work on my own stories. It's been about 12 years since my cousin's wife gave me HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE. She said I'd love it, and she was right.

By J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

I'm not going to summarize. I'd be surprised if anyone reading this isn't already familiar with the series. I'm just going to share a few of my impressions from this time through. J.K. Rowling writes fabulous dialogue. Pull a line from anywhere in the book, and I can probably tell you which character said it. And while my favorite lines usually come from the redheaded kids, something Dumbledore said to Harry hit me this time: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."

I'm excited to see the last movie, next month, but every time I read one of the books, I wonder why they cut Peeves. My absolute favorite part in the series is in the fifth book when Peeves salutes Fred and George. LOVE. But even without Peeves, the movies do a great job of capturing the characters and story, much better than most book-to-movie adaptations.

Did I mention I'm excited to see this? :o)



What do you think? And have you seen the countdown that Rowling's new website links to? Does anyone want to make a guess?


If you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades (ones you haven't already read), the following people would love to oblige you: 

Shannon Whitney Messenger (our founding mother)
Have a Marvelous Monday!


11 comments:

  1. Great choice of a book to spotlight. I loved this series. And I can't wait for the last movie. It comes out on my birthday. Though I'll have to catch it on the weekend as midnight is too late for me to see a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll not hazard any guess about the Pottermore site, except that it will probably crash on the first day with so many people visiting to see what is up!

    Love HP!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter just asked me the other day, "Why don't you highlight Harry Potter in your MMGM?" =)

    I've read them, read them aloud to my kids, and reread my favorite parts again and again. Reading them during revision would motivate (or get your nose stuck, like you said).

    I do have to say - I've not seen ANY of the movies. And won't (even though I've heard they are marvelously done). The story and characters in my head are too good and too right just the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great MMGM choice, Myrna. Love love love Harry Potter. Although the third book is my favorite. Laughed out loud at this line: "my favorite lines usually come from the redheaded kids." :)

    And the movies could never live up to the books (movies rarely do -- except for maybe Lord of the Rings), but I have to admit the movies have grown on me.

    You're right, though, about Peeves. Such a great character and completely neglected in the movies.

    As for Pottermore, we're all wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  5. SoooOOOoooo....are you excited to see this? lol! The hubs and I are planning a watching the movies marathon. And I am going to be re-reading the books too. Why? Because they are _marvelous_ and I love love LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with StoryQueen. That website will crash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should read it again, too. It's been a long time....

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this to my youngest boys who are now in college. Our favorite time to read was around the campfire when we went camping. They'd beg, "One more chapter, Mom, please." When they went to see the first movie I was heartened when my boys said, "Mom, they have the voice of Dobby wrong." This brought back many pleasant memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that movie looks so good! Can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, yes!!! Great pick :) I remember getting this book the summer after I finished the fourth grade. I got it right before we had a read n' feed at daycare (meaning an afternoon where we all brought sleeping bags and sat around eating snacks and reading). I've read it more times than I can count. And I can't wait to see the movie, either :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make a great point about being able to pull a line of dialogue from the book and tell which character said it. I hadn't thought of that before - I think I'll try this with my own writing.

    And I'm excited to see the last movie, too!

    ReplyDelete