Monday, September 5, 2011

MMGM: DRAGON SLIPPERS

I've seen this one shelved both in middle grade and young adult sections, and my daughter loved it as an eight-year-old. While I've enjoyed all of Jessica Day George's novels, my favorite is still her debut novel.
Dragon Slippers


From Goodreads:


Many stories tell of damsels in distress, who are rescued from the clutches of fire-breathing dragons by knights in shining armor, and swept off to live happily ever after. 


Unfortunately, this is not one of those stories.  


True, when Creel's aunt suggests sacrificing her to the local dragon, it is with the hope that the knight will marry Creel and that everyone (aunt and family included) will benefit handsomely. Yet it's Creel who talks her way out of the dragon's clutches. And it's Creel who walks for days on end to seek her fortune in the king's city with only a bit of embroidery thread and a strange pair of slippers in her possession.


But even Creel could not have guessed the outcome of this tale. For in a country on the verge of war, Creel unknowingly possesses not just any pair of shoes, but a tool that could be used to save her kingdom … or destroy it.


I love the characters in DRAGON SLIPPERS, especially Creel and Shardas, and I love the way Jessica Day George told their story. It's more of an adventure story than a love story, one of the reasons I think it leans more toward middle grade than young adult. There are a few love stories, however, and the one I didn't see coming hit me the hardest. Have you read this one? If so, what did you think?


And if you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades, the following people would love to oblige you: 

Shannon Whitney Messenger (our founding mother)
Have a Marvelous Monday! 


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I've enjoyed other books by Jessica Day George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds humorous as well, judging from the Goodreads blurb! I'm all about humor.

    Thanks for introducing me to this novel and this writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! And I agree, out of all of hers this one is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! My daughter is a dragon lover; we'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read any of her books. We shelve these dragon books in MG. When in doubt, I usually go by the publisher's official age or age range, if there is one.

    Her Princess books are definitely YA, though.

    Thanks for the review, Myrna. I'll add it to my ever-growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I haven't read any Jessica Day George books! Thanks so much for this review, Myrna! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a couple of her books...LOVED Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another one for me to get for my daughter! I think she would LOVE this. Thanks, Myrna!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember if I once tried to read this one or not. I'll have to check it out sometime . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are all very welcome. :o)

    Amy, I think she would.

    Sarah, if you did start it, I don't think you would have put it down. It grabbed me right from the start.

    ReplyDelete