Monday, September 26, 2011

MMGM: THE EMERALD ATLAS

THE EMERALD ATLAS, by John Stephens, reminded me of THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA and of A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS.
The Emerald Atlas (Books of Beginning)

Goodreads:
John Stephens' aptly-titled new fantasy trilogy begins auspiciously with a nimble, fast-paced tale of three siblings. Kate, Michael, and Emma have suffered through ten years of odious orphanage "care"; now they have slipped into the care of the eccentric, disturbingly mysterious Dr. Pym. While exploring their new home, the children discover a magical green book. With that discovery, a decade of tedium dissolves into cascades of dangerous time travel adventures and struggles with a beautiful witch and decidedly less attractive zombielike Screechers. High early reader marks for strong characterization and battle scenes.


This is a great adventure story, and Emma is hilarious. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys fat fantasies. It's the first in a series, but wraps up the first part of the story well enough. At least, I thought so.

Also, have any of you read an ARC for LIESL AND PO? It comes out on October 4th. I haven't read the book, but this trailer for it is gorgeous.


If you'd like to read about more Marvelous Middle Grades, the following people would love to oblige you: 

Shannon Whitney Messenger (our founding mother)
My computer may be going on a road trip without me, and if so, I won't have internet when this posts. But if you have any questions, I'll answer them when it comes home. Have a Marvelous Monday! 

12 comments:

  1. Loved this book! I have an arc for Liesl & Po but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must get this one read! Thanks for sharing. And I am reading Liesal and Po now--an intriguing and imaginative read that makes me think fans of books like Coraline and Graveyard book will enjoy it. It's dark and mysterious, thought provoking, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. er, make that _liesl_

    ReplyDelete
  4. This new series sounds like a good tip for my grandson. Thanks!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet (and neither have my kids) but it keeps popping up - so we must get at it! And I haven't heard about Liesl and Po, so thank you for that tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won this one from Joanne Fritz, and can't wait to get my teeth into it!

    Hope the computer's doing okay on its roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these posts, Myrna. I always find good things for my daughter (and myself) to read! Thank you!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this but it looks great. I really love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on the top of my pile. I'm super excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds like a fun one. I loved Narnia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds right up my alley! I hadn't heard of it, either. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes,sounds very good!! cant wait to read it!They quickly learn this book is very powerful. As the children set off on an adventure to discover more of the book, they will meet evil witches, angry dwarves, and the most terrifying creatures - Screechers!

    ReplyDelete