Saturday, October 8, 2011

Writing Update: Second Draft Finished!

I love finishing a draft, especially one that's been a lot of work. My second draft of The Binder's Web is finally complete at 64,352 words or 234 pages (for those of you who don't work with word counts). One of my sisters has been reading it, and I'll incorporate her notes into my third draft, which ought to be a quickie (since I'm about halfway through it). Then I'll let it sit while I figure out a better beginning and work on Star Swans.

I haven't opened Star Swans in almost a year, and writing another novel has changed the way I look at some things. So, I'm excited to see how what I've learned will affect this revision.

If you'd like to recommend books that give great advice on pacing, I'm all ears. Have a great weekend! 

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome you finished. After having my word count way too long, I'm a big fan of keeping track of the word count.

    One book I'd recommend on plot, which I think deals with pacing, is Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any pacing recommendations, but I am a big fan of coming back to something after a long time not reading it at all. It is amazing how much you forget when you are not looking at it day after day after day. It gives you the chance to read it like a "reader" instead of a "writer."

    Have fun!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting the second draft completed. It will be interesting to see what you think of Star Swans after a year away. Its always good to look at your work with "new" eyes, isn't it?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I just finished my first draft a week and a half ago and I'm just itching to dive into it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation, Natalie. I've heard of that one before but haven't picked it up. It's probably time.

    I hope that means you opened your document, Shelley. :o)

    Q, that's one of the questions I still have to answer.

    Thanks, Sue. I think so.

    Thanks, Adam!

    Cassie Mae, I did just dive into my second draft with The Binder's Web. By the time I'd finished the first draft, I'd already noted a list of things that needed to change. Good luck with yours! And thank you.

    Thanks, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Myrna! I'm guessing Betsy is the lucky one who got to critique this story. Can't wait to read it. Good luck with your Star Swan story.
    Love ya,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Joanie! Betsy HAS been reading it. I've been giving her chapters, here and there, as I finish them, something I've never tried before. Robyn ran the last few chapters over to her, today, because I finished them so late on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Myrna!! I don't have a book recommend but if I come across one in my bloggy travels I will pass it along.

    ReplyDelete